January 2009 update on the Shareswatch Random Portfolio. So far this portfolio is not doing well and is under-performing the ASX 200, however it is early days yet and some stocks may get a boost from government spending aimed at boosting the economy.
This portfolio is is a fictional selection of stocks from the ASX 200 range of companies selected randomly. For further details regarding how it was constructed please refer to: The Random Portfolio
Shareswatch Random Portfolio (constructed 23rd Oct 2008)
Total Cost $100,000
|Company||ASX Code||Shares||Buy Price||Total Cost|
|Platinum Asset Mgmt||PTM||2645||$3.78||$9,998.10|
Shareswatch Portfolio Status (as of 30th Jan 2009)
Portfolio Value $76,956.22
|Code||Buy Price||Last Price||Units||Market Value||Profit / Loss||% Change|
Comments and Notes
- Current unrealised loss: -$23,020.65
- The Shareswatch Random Portfolio is down 23.03% compared to around -11% for the ASX 200 during the period 23rd October 23rd 2008 – 30th January 2009.
- Coca-Cola Amatil is up due to takeover activity.
- Woolworths (WOW) has shown it’s defensive nature by gaining 4.53%.
- Engineering and mining related stocks were particularly hard hit due to the continued slowdown in global economic activity. (e.g. MAH, MND, OST and RIV)
Please note this Portfolio is NOT meant as an endorsement or recommendation of any of the stocks contained within it.